What percentage of a number equals some other number?
What missing percentage of a given number is equal to the other given number?
- what missing percentage of the given number N1 = the given number N2?
Three examples of problems that can be solved using the information in this section:
- The amount of 100,000 dollars of the annual profit of a company was invested in buying some new equipment. The annual profit of the company was 400,000 dollars. What is the percentage of the annual profit that was invested in buying the new equipment?
- Solution: x% of 400,000 dollars means 100,000 dollars => x% × 400,000 dollars = 100,000 dollars => x% = 100,000 ÷ 400,000 = 1 ÷ 4 = 0.25 = 25%;
- 7 students in the terminal year have enrolled into the swimming class. There are 35 students in the terminal year. What percentage of students have enrolled into the swimming class?
- Solution: x% of the 35 students means 7 students => x% × 35 students = 7 students => x% = 7 ÷ 35 = 1 ÷ 5 = 0.2 = 20%;
- In the last elections, 17,920 of the community members voted for the B Party. The community has a total of 56,000 people. What percentage of the community members voted for the B Party?
- Solution: x% of the total number of 56,000 of community members means 17,920 people => x% × 56,000 people = 17,920 people => x% = 17,920 ÷ 56,000 = 0.32 = 32%.